Friday, September 11, 2009

The Newest Member of Our Family







Meet Caden! We adopted him through the Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue this summer.
I was never a dog person. My kids wanted a dog for years but I was totally against it. The smell of wet dogs, dog food, animals in general made me gag!
My daughter and I were enjoying the Papillion Days parade and a few of the volunteers from the rescue were walking Danes in the parade. Curious about these huge dogs I took my children to a meet and greet at an Omaha bookstore, then the dog show, then the book store again the next month. Soon we were filling out the paperwork and on our way to adopting a gentle giant of our own.
Part of the adoption process includes a home check. We already had the dog picked out on the website that we wanted to adopt but when the volunteers came with their foster dog Caden to do our home check all thoughts about another dog disappeared.
After the home check and the foster parents took Caden back home with them it was an agonizing two weeks before the process was finalized and he came to live with us permanently.
**Check back soon to read how Caden adapted to our home and how we made room in our house and hearts for a 130 lb Great Dane!

No comments: