Friday, December 19, 2008

PAMPERING MYSELF HEAD TO TOE















The economy is in the dumps, money is tight. Blah, blah,blah. That is nothing new but darn it I needed some ''ME'' time and some sprucing up. I decided to give myself an early Christmas present without blowing the budget so I went to the closest beauty school in Omaha. First thing I figured it out is they sure don't like being referred to as a beauty school. They are an aesthetic academy or some such thing. It looked like a professional spa. Very modern decor, super clean and crazy busy. They offer all the services of a day spa from haircuts to body wraps, facial peels to French manicures. Every service you can get at a spa but for a fraction of the cost.





I started with a pedicure and loved the leather spa chair with built in massager. Considering it is wintertime and no one is going to see my feet I opted for purple polish and rhinestones. I love having some bling on my toes! Next it was off to mow my unibrow. Ok, maybe it wasn't that bad but they did require some serious landscaping. The stylist to be was a bit nervous about cutting my hair since I wanted more than a trim but I reassured her that since hair does grow back and whatever she did was not as permanent as let say a tattoo that I would be just fine. Off she went like a less psychologically damaged Edward Scissorhands and relieved me of a good portion of my hair. I had checked into donating it but it fit neither Locks of Love or Wigs for Kids guidelines so there it lay in lumps and clumps on the floor around the chair seemingly dejected. It was over processed had split ends and now low self esteem since no one , including me, wanted it anymore.





Call it beauty school or aesthetic academy one thing to keep in mind is it takes longer for whatever you have having done. A lot longer. The students must have the director or their trainer check and sign off on all their work. I think the time is worth it though. Two and a half hours later I emerged refreshed and with a different look for quite a bit less than I would pay elsewhere.

No comments: