Saturday, May 16, 2009

PARTING IS SUCH (ARTIFICIALLY) SWEET SORROW


I gave up pop. For those of you not from Nebraska or the Midwest usually refer to it (incorrectly, I might add) as soda or soda pop and for those who know me know I was rarely seen without a diet pop in my hand. For years it was Diet Pepsi then in an effort to curb this habit of mine I switched to Coke Zero. That didn't help, I loved that stuff even more! The more I read about soft drinks I knew the cans I was chugging down each day were not good for me. One look at the back of the can at the ingredients told me that.

So I did it.

Cold turkey even!

The first few days I was a bit on edge after that it wasn't affecting me physically but habits are hard to break. I had to make an effort to order tea. It has been nearly a month now and I haven't fallen off the pop wagon once. I still miss its bubbly sweetness and pathetically enough I even had a dream that I was drinking a can of cold carbonated bliss. If I was still in high school I probably would be drawing hearts on my notebook with doodles of Coke Zero.

I wish I had this much willpower when it came to dieting but going completely without diet pop is somehow easier than rationing it to a reasonable amount. It wasn't easy and I wish I was drinking one right now but I have to say that I do look and feel better now that I have finally gotten myself off the sauce.

2 comments:

Tessa said...

good for you! It takes a lot for me to drink them now that I've gone without for so long... They taste nasty now.

Abas KS said...

Wow. Didn't know that one could get addicted to diet soda. :-o Take it easy on your sugar intake, Sandy. I get slight headaches to migraines after drinking too much soda. Do you?

I pretty much stay away from them except for the occasional treat, once a week. Even then, I check what I eat that day just to make sure my head can take the additional sugar from the soda. I guess diet soda is the better version.

Check out my blogs at
aimvotal.com
I just updated them with new content.

Wishing you a happy day,

Abas.