Thursday, January 8, 2009

READY, AIM, FIRE!


I only went because my teenaged son asked me to. I did not expect to have a good time. A shooting range? Guns? Camouflage wearing NRA freaks? What was I getting myself into? We drove to the local shooting range called appropriately enough The Bullet Hole. Once we stepped inside I immediately saw that my preconceived notions of the place were way off the mark. Very clean and well organized there were racks and racks of various firearms and all the accessories one might need to carry, clean and personalize them. I facetiously asked if they had a gun that was pink or purple, maybe one with flowers. A feminine one I told them. The helpful guy behind the counter (in a dress shirt and khakis, no camo) informed me that they had a lavender gun that was just sold in the past couple days. No kidding.

My son brought in his pellet gun and I was going to rent a hand gun for six bucks but didn't realize I needed a permit to do so. Bummer. We should have called first. My son and I decided to share his pellet gun so now we needed targets. My son bought the typical bulls eye target for a measly fifty cents. I picked out the mobster guy target for a buck. Then because I obviously left my filter in the off position I grabbed the target and said ''Good, I really want to shoot a guy!" Yes, this garnered many concerned looks from staff and shoppers alike. OOPS! So we slink off to the range and pin up our target. Even with the rented ear protection it was loud. BANG! BANG! BANG! After a few minutes though it didn't seem as loud. We had a great time and surprisingly I was not a bad shot. I think I am going to apply for that permit and take my son there again. We had a great time and it was nice to do something together that was his idea. It won't be too long before he is grown and out of the house so I need to grab whatever bonding opportunities come my way, fully loaded or not.

No comments: