Sunday, January 25, 2009

How Nifty!

Those who practice the home arts are a dying breed. My grandmother canned stuff. I don't really remember what. Maybe jelly. I remember that she canned things though. She embroidered and entered her homemade goods in the county fair. Not too many people make anything anymore. Storebought is easier and faster. Does anyone outside of Nebraska even use the term ''storebought'' anymore? Usually people think it is better to buy it. The fabric section at Wal-Mart keeps getting smaller and seems with the exception of the very trendy scrapbookers there isn't much that is cool about making things yourself. My friend introduced me to the Knifty Knitter and I'll tell you it is rather nifty indeed. It comes with an instruction book but I found it easier to learn from watching my friend and there are also many videos on You Tube with instructions. With the Knifty Knitter one can make hats, scarves, ponchos, throws and even socks. For my first project I made my 16 year old son a hat. It didn't take that long and wasn't all that difficult. I spent about 4 dollars on yarn. It took me several hours split up over a few days but I think as I get used to doing this it will become quicker and easier to finish a project. Could I have saved a bit of time and bought him another hat at the store? Sure I could have but I have to say that I was thrilled when he liked it and wore it. Homemade is pretty cool after all. Next up a hat for my daughter. She insists on pink yarn of course.

No comments: