Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It is but it isn't


Before I went to bed last night I knew Obama had won the Presidential election. I called my Democratic friend Tam and offered my concession speech. I then switched gears and began to support Obama. Not agree with the man mind you, just support him. I think that too much liberty is taken with free speech (pardon the pun) and disparaging the President just because you can undermines the strength and confidence of our country.
I will pray daily for our President to do what is right for our country, our people and especially Isreal. Foreign relations is tricky. I can't even get along with my inlaws for a week, I can't imagine the stress our leaders face trying to get along with so many other leaders. Like a Thanksgiving dinner that lasts for four years.

This election also taught me something about myself. If I wanted McCain to win so badly what did I do to help his campaign? I prayed for him which is nice and of course I cast my vote for him but I did not contribute my time, money and I doubt my Facebook profile button hardly counts as a yard sign. Next election I am going to do more to support my candidate then win or lose I know I at least did my part.

I don't want to take away the most important thoughts of this day though. We live in a free country where we can vote and worship as we please and that is an awesome, awesome gift.

The other is that blacks got the right to vote in 1870 but unpleasantries such as poll taxes, literacy tests and intimidation at the polls by the KKK prevented many from voting until 1964 when the Civil Rights Act was enacted. A whole lot has changed in 44 years and that is what makes this a good day.

God Bless America!

No comments: