Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Big (not so) Fat Greek Dinner



As I am prone to do in my weight loss endeavors I began a new diet today. The GI Diet is based on the glycemic index. After years of trying to get to my pre-Mothra Invades Tokyo weight I have learned to stay away from any diet book,group, plan or theory that promises miracle weight loss, weight loss without incredible amounts of effort or eliminates an entire food group.


This book categorizes common foods into three groups of green, yellow and red.


Eat mostly from the green category which includes grapes, broccoli, raw almonds, egg whites, lima beans, pears. Ok, I can do that. I like those foods. This is not the entire list mind you.


The yellow category are foods to have less of but are still part of your eating plan such as instant oatmeal, couscous,popcorn,brown rice, sweet potatoes, bananas, sweet corn. The red group holds no surprises that doughnuts, bagels, jelly beans and ice cream are on the list but some foods on the red side did surprise me such as potatoes , honey and peanut butter. Dang! Those are foods I like but I think I would like being thinner much better so I am going to give this a shot.


Here is what I had for my first dinner on the plan:




Greek salad comprised of chicken breast, calamata olives, reduced fat feta cheese, romaine lettuce, roma tomato topped with balsamic vinegar. Three wasa thin crisp breads (20 calories each) with roasted red pepper hummus on top.


Yum! For a total of 445 calories
I was so proud of it, I took a picture!!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Looks yummy! Good luck with the new eating plan. :)