Tuesday, November 11, 2008

When I was your age...













Usually anything that starts out with ''when I was your age'' or similar involves a dreadful tale of walking to school uphill both ways in the snow with only one ill fitting shoe to wear. I can't quite stretch it that far but I do think kids these days have it easier in respect to technology. The simple act of adding a widget (Or was it a gadget?) to my blog had me pulling out my hair.







I did not have computers in high school. My first home computer was a hulking noncompliant frustration device encased in thick white plastic. I knew I would have to learn how to use one, almost every job I was applying for at that time required at least familiarity with computers. It is hard to imagine that just ten years later nearly every job has opportunity or necessity of using a computer. Have you noticed the registers at retailers and grocery stores are more computer than just plain old cash registers.








When I was in Junior High we had to walk to each others houses. Now it is Middle School and they have cell phones. Text messaging each other in indecipherable shorthand and emoticonsfaster than I could have ever asked permission to go down the block.








It is amazing yet somewhat embarrassing that I am turning into my mother as I marvel at the progress of technology. I can't wait until this happens to my kids!

No comments: